A Very Herbiary Holiday
Mix, sip, and celebrate!
2020 is (finally!) winding to a close. Let’s *clink!* in the New Year.
Scroll down for recipes for our favorite herbal craft mocktails and cocktails to help you get over the year that’s been and celebrate the one that’s to come.
The Memory Lane
The Memory Lane cocktail is inspired by reflection and a moment of remembrance. This cocktail is made with Gin, which is crafted from the distillation of juniper berries. Juniper Berries are red in color and are used traditionally for improving circulation and keeping illness at bay.
The Memory Lane also calls for a splash of Grapefruit. Grapefruit has been called “nature’s antibiotic” and is full of Vitamin C.
We added Herbiary’s Rosemary Syrup, because Rosemary teaches us to tap into our memory, perfectly timed for this part of the year. Rosemary is said to trigger memory and increase alertness. As you sip, conjure up the happiest memories to carry you into the new year.
What You’ll Need:
- 4 oz Grapefruit Juice
- 2 oz Gin
- 1/2 oz Herbiary’s Rosemary Syrup
A Guide to Crafting this Cocktail:
- In a shaker filled with ice, combine all of the ingredients and shake vigorously.
- Strain into two cocktail glasses filled with ice.
- Garnish with a slice of lime, grapefruit, or sprig of rosemary.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to suit your socially distanced party size.
Want to make it a mocktail? Substitute your favorite lemon lime soda for the gin and enjoy this wistful herbal infusion of yesteryear.
The Festive and Fizzy
When life calls for a celebration, Champagne is at the top of our list. This is our favorite cocktail for being both festive and fizzy, combining ginger beer, champagne, and rose geranium.
Despite its name, ginger beer is an alcohol free libation and our favorite brands (like Bundaberg or Gosling’s) contain stomach soothing ginger.
The third ingredient to this cocktail is Herbiary’s Rose Geranium Botanical Syrup. Its floral flavor is similar to Rose. In the language of flowers, rose geranium says, “I prefer you!”
Stir in this syrup to sweeten this cocktail with affection.
What You’ll Need:
- 4 oz Champagne
- 4 oz Ginger Beer
- 1/2 oz Herbiary’s Rose Geranium Botanical Syrup
- 1 tsp Herbiary’s Ginger Sugar
A Guide to Crafting This Celebratory Cocktail:
- Fill two champagne flutes with ice water and allow the glasses to chill.
- Meanwhile place 1 tsp of ginger sugar on a small plate.
- Pour in the chilled champagne into a large shaker of ice, ginger beer, and the rose geranium syrup.
- Stir the ingredients and avoid shaking (you don’t want too much fizz in this drink!).
- Pour the ice water out of the champagne flutes, turn them upside down and dip the wet rims in the ginger sugar.
- Carefully strain off the cocktail from the shaker into your glass.
Want to make a mocktail? Simply omit the champagne and double the ginger beer.
Orange You Berry Glad 2020 is Over
Some years are more difficult than others, and we know that 2020 may top the list for many of us. At this juncture, we can set our eyes on the horizon and hope for a better year ahead.
We crafted this cocktail with raspberry leaves, citrus bitters, orange and cranberry juice.
Raspberry leaves not only contain antioxidants, they are chock full of calcium, magnesium and potassium promoting strong bones and digestive health.
Adding bitters to this concoction makes it the perfect after dinner aperitif, lending a digestive quality with a tasty citrus flavor. We love orange juice for boosting the vitamin C content of this beverage and complimenting that delicious raspberry flavor.
Cranberries are hailed for their ability to support our urinary tract, but these tart beauties are considered a superfood for their high nutrient and antioxidant content. Try to find some pure cranberry juice to gain all of the benefits, but a cranberry cocktail is a perfectly acceptable alternative.
What You’ll Need:
- 4 oz Rum or Vodka
- 1 tbsp Raspberry Leaves
- 10 drops Citrus Bitters
- 16 oz Orange juice
- 4 oz Cranberry juice
A Guide to Crafting this Tasty Cocktail:
- Place the raspberry leaves in a mason jar and pour the rum over them, screw on the lid and shake vigorously. Allow to soak overnight before straining out the leaves.
- In a large pitcher combine the raspberry infused rum with the orange juice, cranberry juice and bitters.
- Stir to combine and pour over ice, garnish with an orange slice.
To create a mocktail version of this berry cocktail, make a strong tea with 1 tbsp of raspberry leaves in 4 oz of hot water, steeping for 5-10 minutes. Strain out the leaves, add in the bitters and juices, and shake well to mix! Pour over ice and enjoy.
Piping Hot Peppermint Patty
This spicy, sweet beverage is the perfect treat for those long winter nights.
The base of this cocoa mix contains the immune boosting power of reishi mushrooms long hailed for its adaptogenic properties, helping your body cope with stress, perfect for the holiday season and the darker months of the year.
Our Wild Reishi Hot Chocolate also contains cacao, a superfood filled with calcium, iron and magnesium. You may notice a spicy kick from cayenne pepper, a stimulating spice sure to get your blood pumping and keep you warm this holiday season.
Our peppermint glycerite gives us that festive flavor of candy canes, with peppermint’s stomach calming qualities.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 tbsp Wild Reishi Hot Chocolate
- 8 oz Half and Half (can substitute vanilla almond milk to keep it vegan)
- ¼ oz Herbiary’s Peppermint Glycerite
A Guide to Crafting this Decadent Cocktail:
- Heat your choice of milk on the stove top just until steaming, but not boiling.
- Vigorously whisk in the wild reishi hot chocolate until all lumps are dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add in the peppermint glycerite, stirring to combine. Serve in your favorite mug and top with whipped cream for a special treat.
Want to take this drink to the next level and get a little naughty? Add in a shot or two of vanilla vodka and stir ;)
Feeling more under the weather than celebratory this year? We understand. For comfort and cozy or for those feeling blue, trying crafting our Fire! Toddy.
Traditional hot toddies are created by blending hot water, lemon, honey and whiskey for a cures what ails ya’ beverage. Herbiary’s kitchen witches put a little fiery spin on this classic tonic.
Our fire tonic combines spicy ingredients with immune boosting mushroom extracts to take your hot toddy to the next level.
What You’ll Need:
- 6 oz Hot Water
- 1 oz Fire Tonic
- 1 Lemon
- Honey (to taste)
- 2 oz Whiskey
A Guide to Crafting This Comforting Cocktail
- In an 8 oz mug stir the honey into the hot water, add in the Fire Tonic and whiskey and squeeze two quarters of a lemon into the mug.
- Drop one of the lemon pieces into your toddy for a little extra boost.
For a mocktail, omit the whiskey and sip!
We wish you a safe and happy time as you ring in the new year!